[SOLVED] Out of control mailbox

Joe lists at joefleming.net
Fri Jul 24 10:46:58 MST 2009

I don't have a choice, it's a remotely hosted server, not mine.

This was the final solution I went with...

# get the total line count, as a number
lines=`wc -l MBOX_FILE | cut -d\  -f2`
# calculate the number of lines to the end of the file
let newlines=${lines}-DESIRED_START_LINE
# let me know what the end result will be
echo -e "old file: ${lines} lines\nnew file: ${newlines} lines"
# create the new file
tail -n $newlines MBOX_FILE > NEW_MBOX_FILE
# finally, replace the old mboxfile
mv MBOX_FILE MBOX_FILE.old && mv NEW_MBOX_FILE MBOX_FILE

I ran that in one string with semicolons. I posted it here commented for
easy reading. Thanks for the help all!

-Joe