ext? as fat or ntfs?

Lisa Kachold lisakachold at obnosis.com
Mon Jul 20 13:49:58 MST 2009

If FAT is under licensing contention, m$ will be going after a great
many pendrive manufacturers.

FAT32 and FAT have literally no security. There is also XFAT and X64FAT.

http://www.forensicblog.org/2007/05/24/recovering-a-fat-filesystem-directory-entry-in-five-phases/

This means we can do all manner of things to liberate deleted data and
its always been very easy "ahem" to hide data in VFAT file systems
(assuming that no one will ever look there in a thousand penguin
years).

http://3d2f.com/tags/hide/crypt/directory/

Go look yourselves:
http://www.sleuthkit.org/sleuthkit/man/fsstat.html

I love the way everyone is just layering ON security [rather than
changing bad things]
http://www.maverick-os.dk/FileSystemFormats/VFAT_LongFileNames.html

You do realize there are Ecommerce companies attempting to protect bad
database installation and permissions with Layer 7 switching?   Cheers
to the reverse engineers or we would have no QA at all!

For you needing to get to the bottom of your mobile phones:
http://miatforensics.org/index.php

On 7/20/09, Bob Elzer <bob.elzer at gmail.com> wrote:
> I didn't realize that UDF was "Gaining popularity on non-optical media"
>
> Sounds like this may be what you are looking for, it sounds like almost
> everyone can read it.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_Disk_Format

http://linuxgazette.net/164/kachold.html
(623)239-3392