ext? as fat or ntfs?

der.hans PLUGd at LuftHans.com
Sun Jul 19 23:42:33 MST 2009

Am 19. Jul, 2009 schwätzte Lisa Kachold so:

moin moin,

all of your links support the idea that we should stop using FAT
filesystems. We should also stop using them because they suck.

> Since the very early days, a great many integration tools in Linux
> have involved hundreds of patent infringements.  Microsoft keeps these
> as a sort of hold card:
>
> http://money.cnn.com/magazines/fortune/fortune_archive/2007/05/28/100033867/

Steve Ballmer said, "What's fair is fair." That's like Capone talking
about the advantages of non-violence.

"Gutierrez refuses to identify specific patents or explain how they're
being infringed, lest FOSS advocates start filing challenges to them."

m$ obviously knows the patent infringement claims are bogus or easy to
avoid.

In any case, staying with something controlled by m$ is a bad idea.

If a restaurant keeps poisoning you, stop going to that restaurant.

> So, I personally don't expect that governments and others are suddenly
> going to start to change their use of FAT32, vFAT, etc.

True. Doubly so if we don't come up with a viable alternative for them.

Let's create the alternative and work on getting them to slowly move to
free and unencumbered solutions.

> As you already determined, whatever is used MUST integrate with m$.
> So, they really are not going to be able to hold patents very long for
> cross platform integration.

Actually, I don't think they MUST integrate with m$, but I think that
helps us build a bridge from proprietary to free and open. It would also
help us put the onus on m$ to support the free and open filesystems.

ciao,

der.hans
#  Intelligence without compassion is a waste.  -- der.hans