need help troubleshooting software raid failures

Matt Graham danceswithcrows at usa.net
Thu Jul 16 12:08:22 MST 2009

From: Alex Dean <alex at crackpot.org>
> 09:24:29  ata3.00: status:  { Busy }
> 09:24:29  ata3.00: error:  { ICRC UNC IDNF }
> 09:24:29  ata3: hard resetting link
> 09:24:35  ata3: SATA link up 1.5 Gbps
> 09:24:35  ata3.00: configured for UDMA/100
> Jul 14 09:24:35 end_request: I/O error, dev sda, sector 58604927

This would make me think that there might be something wrong with
/dev/sda somewhere.

> Jul 16 09:38:22 end_request: I/O error, dev sda, sector 58604927

How 'bout that?  Same sector number as before.  Time to replace
/dev/sda , or at the very least run an extensive badblocks on the
disk.  The same bad sector reported 48 hours apart is probably not
a coincidence, regardless of how the SATA controller is working.
I wish I could be more help, but the onboard nVidia SATA controller
I have at home has Just Worked.  And the one time I ran into softRAID
problems at a friend's house, it was a disk that was dying and had
similar symptoms, though the bad sector numbers didn't match exactly
the way they do in this report.

--
Matt G / Dances With Crows