need help troubleshooting software raid failures

Alex Dean alex at crackpot.org
Thu Jul 16 10:56:43 MST 2009

On Jul 16, 2009, at 12:47 PM, Eric Shubert wrote:

> Alex Dean wrote:
>>
>> On Jul 16, 2009, at 11:08 AM, Eric Shubert wrote:
>>
>>> I'd look into the controller. The Promise PCI SATA cards are known
>>> to be
>>> problematic with linux. I don't know the details, but have seen 2 of
>>> them have problems with software raid at least. The problem can be
>>> very
>>> sporadic, so it seems to fit your symptoms. Google for the details.
>>>
>>> Please let me know if/when you find a PCI/SATA card that works!
>>
>> I followed the emails about problems with Promise controllers a few
>> months ago.  I'd planned to buy a Promise card up to that point, but
>> went with a SYBA card w/ a SIL3112 chipset, since it seemed to be
>> better
>> supported / less buggy in linux.
>>
>> This is the one I have:
>> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815124006
>>
>> alex
>>

> Hmmm. I'm betting it's a hardware issue of some sort. Is it always the
> sda drive that drops out?

Yes, at the moment 3 of the 4 sda partitions are failed.  By hardware,
do you mean the disk or the controller?  Any idea why this would start
occurring after a power loss?

It's not much money to replace the controller.  The disk also wouldn't
be too bad, and probably is in warranty.  But I'd like to actually
verify it's bad before going down that road.

If there are no other good PCI SATA cards out there, I'd need a new
motherboard or new machine, since PCI is all I have in this computer.
(It's rather old...  perfect for the job I've given it.)

Can anyone read anything more from the syslog entries and other info I
posted in my original message?

alex