need help troubleshooting software raid failures

Alex Dean alex at crackpot.org
Thu Jul 16 09:23:49 MST 2009

On Jul 16, 2009, at 11:08 AM, Eric Shubert wrote:

> I'd look into the controller. The Promise PCI SATA cards are known
> to be
> problematic with linux. I don't know the details, but have seen 2 of
> them have problems with software raid at least. The problem can be
> very
> sporadic, so it seems to fit your symptoms. Google for the details.
>
> Please let me know if/when you find a PCI/SATA card that works!

I followed the emails about problems with Promise controllers a few
months ago.  I'd planned to buy a Promise card up to that point, but
went with a SYBA card w/ a SIL3112 chipset, since it seemed to be
better supported / less buggy in linux.

This is the one I have:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815124006

alex