Odd question on DNS/domain name stuff...

Jim March 1.jim.march at gmail.com
Mon Jul 13 18:20:35 MST 2009

Folks,

I have a friend who runs a website.  Every night he looks at the logs
and checks to see where people are linking in from - usually
discussion forums.

He's got a regular trickle of incoming from a website that doesn't
seem to exist:

http://www.alchemistsrroom.us

Drop one "r" from "rroom" and you do get a valid site, but it involves
aromatherapy.  His site relates to a high-end handgun sight...that
would be an odd linkage.

Something else: I didn't know this, but people who mess around with
homebrew explosives call themselves "alchemists", so there's obviously
more of a cross-linked interest THERE than with aromatherapy.

I've run "whois" searches on "alchemistsrroom.us" plus tried to go to
the .com, .net, .org, .edu and even .gov versions of the same thing.

So...first question is, why is this guy's server logs telling him
links are coming in from a non-existent address?

Possibly related question: is there a way to mask alchemistsrroom.us
somehow, possibly by running a non-standard port
(http://alchemistsrroom.us:8081 or something?)  If so, can we find it,
and possibly locate an underground bomb-maker's forum or something?

:)

Jim