Colleges that support Free Software?

Eric Shubert ejs at shubes.net
Mon Jul 13 09:50:03 MST 2009

Ryan Rix wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> I am going to be a senior in high school next year so it is time for me to
> start looking at which colleges I would be interested in attending.
> Basically I am looking to take up a degree in CS, simple and easy.
>
> One of the factors I'd like to look into in regards to those colleges I apply
> at is how do they support Free Software in their CS curriculum. It's fairly
> important to me that I am able to develop under a Free operating system in the
> CS courses that I choose to take, and am not forced to develop under Windows.
>
> Does anyone have any experince with Free Software universities, or any
> resources that have information on them?
>
> Ryan

Carnegie Mellon (http://www.cs.cmu.edu/) has an extensive CS School (a
whole school, not just a curriculum). I'm not sure how FS fits into
their picture, but I expect you'd find a good balance there.

Don't let any prejudice you might have weigh too heavily in your
decision. Balance is good. Keep in mind that if you limit yourself to
FOSS, you'll be doing exactly that - limiting yourself.

--
-Eric 'shubes'