Redirection in bash: stdout AND stderr to file while SIMULTANEOUSLY stderr to another file.

Dazed_75 lthielster at gmail.com
Sat Jul 11 05:40:12 MST 2009

Sounds like you need a tee for stderr.  I guess you could use it on stdout
for your log but if it makes such a large file, you probably don't want
that.  Maybe do a google search on"linux tee for stdout"?

On Sat, Jul 11, 2009 at 5:05 AM, kitepilot at kitepilot.com <
kitepilot at kitepilot.com> wrote:

> Good morning...
>
> What I have:
> I wrote a script that generates a LOOOOOOOONG log file...
> I send stdout and stderr to the same file so I can see errors into context.
>
> Problem is:
> I have to find that THERE WAS an error first...
> There are no obvious cues to separate the GOOD messages from the BAD
> messages and scanning a long text file visually is a (sometimes useless)
> challenge.
>
> What I want:
> stdout to one file.
> stderr simultaneously out to 2 files.
> I want to keep my log as it is (again, errors into context), but I also
> want
> to output a parallel log with ERRORS only.
> In other words:
> One log captures only errors, so I know that something failed and,
> another log captures EVERYTHING so I know WHERE it failed.
>
> I know this is possible, but I am already dizzy trying to make sense of the
> redirection reading.
> Thanks!
> ET

Dazed_75 a.k.a. Larry

The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions,
that I wish it always to be kept alive.
 - Thomas Jefferson