One more Zoneminder/video question (camera resolution)

Michael Butash michael at butash.net
Sat Jul 11 00:27:10 MST 2009

Hi Jim,

I'm actually using pretty cheapo Skylink wifi-enabled ip cameras (~70
buck fry's specials) with ZM just fine, but I'm also just having it grab
jpg's off it every couple of seconds (NOT actual streaming mpg video).
I was going to try actual video grabs eventually, until I realized just
how much disk space it actually required even for jpg, and the pita
interfacing with the video.  Doing jpg's appears to be a pretty
standard/solid way of getting the images out of IP cameras, at least for
my purposes.

For physical security recap purposes, the jpg solution was actually
better than I had anticipated, without having to figure out a half-ass
solution to interface with kludgey webcode on the camera.  Getting
actual video off them might be rough, as I remember it had some specific
codec limitations.  Mine only supported java or activex (ick) video, so
I figured it was probably on par with ice in az july for getting it to
work anyways.  YMMV...

-mb