[Slightly OT] General Email Question

Mark Phillips mark at phillipsmarketing.biz
Thu Jul 9 13:48:03 MST 2009

On Thu, Jul 9, 2009 at 12:48 PM, Bob Elzer <bob.elzer at gmail.com> wrote:

> You send me a message while I was away, when I get back and start going
> through my emails, I read and reply to yours.
>
> Then as I get to the end of my email, I get the same email from you again.
>
> Sending me the second email isn't going to get you a faster response, and
> maybe no response if you keep doing it.

I agree with Bob 100% in theory, but my experience has been different. When
some people, not all, get back from vacation, they do a quick search of
their inbox for stuff from their boss or other VIPs, and then ignore the
rest as a matter of survival when confronted with hundreds of emails from
the past. They don't always take the extra time to go back through the old
stuff and separate the wheat from the chaff - they have another 50 emails
just for today. Again, this is not everyone.

With that said, that is just one use case example. Another one from the
gmail help discussion on this topic - "sending email at 3 AM may not be seen
as professional, so I would like to compose the email and then schedule
sending it at 7 AM that morning." This feature had some traction on the
gmail help discussion/feature enhancement requests.

My current solution is to create a calendar event for a certain time/date to
remind me to send the email. It seems that computers are very good at
remembering and executing simple tasks like this in the future, hence my
question.

Mark