HackFest Series: Adding BackTrack Repositories to Ubuntu

Lisa Kachold lisakachold at obnosis.com
Wed Jul 8 19:14:46 MST 2009

Adding BackTrack Repositories to Ubuntu

GNOME:

Goto System > Administration > Software Sources
Click on the Third-Party Software tab and then on Add

Insert this line and hit Add Source:

 Code:

deb http://repo.offensive-security.com/dist/bt4 binary/

 You may need to check the box next to the newly added repository; you will
have to Reload your Package Information by hitting Reload when a box comes
up whining that your software info is out-of-date.
Goto ADD

TERM:
Add this line to the end of /etc/apt/sources.list
 Code:

deb http://repo.offensive-security.com/dist/bt4 binary/

Then run 'sudo apt-get update' to update your systems repository.

Goto ADD

ADD:

You may now apt-get any backtrack package as you would any ubuntu package.

Issues I have had are that a key is missing for accessing
repo.offensive-security.com packages, but the key can be added manually.
I'm not sure if this actually causes any package problems other than a
message each time you reload your repo's.

  Key Error:

 Code:

W: GPG error: http://repo.offensive-security.com binary/ Release:
The following signiture couldn't be verified because the
public key is not available: NO_PUBKEY 720DB78AC5717CD1

Should work fine on a persistent Ubuntu jumpdrive, as added tools.

Be sure to change your ubuntu and root passwords on your LiveCD and
persistent USB keys!
--
(623)239-3392 Skype: obn0sis
(503)754-4452 www.obnosis.com