Google Chrome OS on Linux

Francis Earl francis.earl at gmail.com
Wed Jul 8 16:27:16 MST 2009

> Even with the Affero, it doesn't really help the regular user without a
> webserver or anything to run a webservice on.

Red Hat is assisting with this already, as are Ubuntu and others. Sure they'll
have to significantly boost their resources to provide the services, but what
kind of successful company wouldn't plan for that? A lot of companies are
already moving to such paradigms anyways simply because I think the industry
is sick of porting everything.

> How do you deal with, if you somehow find a way to allow the
> users' modifications to run on the software developer's dataset (as it
> should!) without the risk of comprimising others' data.

I don't see how this would differ much from current methods? Use a VCS and
don't immediately throw everything up on the site - much like how Launchpad
has beta.launchpad.net and doesn't point people there for the most part.

> Virtualization
> could play a huge part here, but it is only half the battle.

Virtualization will play a huge role in managing things, for instance oVirt
from Red Hat already is capable of managing cloud based systems as well as
virtualized locally... I think you're overthinking the complexity of
developing a web app though... it really isn't different from local apps, just
don't put things up that aren't yet released...