Old computer users (Was: Re: Laptop (cell phone) in my pocket?)

Alan Dayley alandd at consultpros.com
Wed Jul 8 07:37:07 MST 2009

On Tue, Jul 7, 2009 at 11:37 PM, Matt Graham<danceswithcrows at usa.net> wrote:
> From: Alan Dayley <alandd at consultpros.com>
>> History in general is vastly important, despite how it is treated in
>> most schools.
>
> History:  An account mostly false, of events mostly unimportant,
> which are brought about by rulers mostly knaves, and soldiers mostly
> fools.  --Ambrose Bierce, _The Devil's Dictionary_

Ambrose proves my point.  History is so important it will be distorted
by those in power to protect their power.

Eben Moglen in that talk points out that nearly everyone now thinks
the purpose of copyright and patents was to create wealth.  This is a
distortion or half-truth of history, perpetuated by those who benefit
from the distortion.  Nearly everyone does not know or think about the
full purpose of immigration and the explosion of culture and
technology that resulted.  The benefit to society is lost in the
benefit to the corporations.

Perhaps I can rephrase: True history is vastly important.

Alan