Laptop (cell phone) in my pocket?

Joshua A. Andler scislac at gmail.com
Sun Jul 5 12:54:00 MST 2009

I have a G1 and absolutely love it. The physical keyboard is a little
smaller than I would like, but it's not nearly as bad as some I've used.

I did also root my phone so it can now do pretty much anything I throw
at it. The primary benefits to rooting it are being able to do whatever
you want with your hardware ;), a fun little project for a couple hours
while rooting it, wireless tethering, and being able to use a bunch of
the "for root users" apps on the marketplace (low level backup stuff for
your phone, task manager, and other great utilities).

Even w/o rooting, the most useful apps I've found and use are: a
terminal (pretty capable), a telnet client, irc client, ftp/sftp client,
an IM client with support for all major IM protocols, VNC (definitely a
bit slow, but still usable if you're patient), and every type of
distraction imaginable... skymap, a metal detector app, a tuning app for
instruments (incredibly accurate), games, etc.

So perhaps I actually just explained how it's really good at wasting
time. :D

Either way, if you have any Qs about the G1 hardware, software, or
experience let me know.

Cheers,
Josh