Well now it's an Apache security rodeo...

Lisa Kachold lisakachold at obnosis.com
Fri Jul 3 23:31:55 MST 2009

On Fri, Jul 3, 2009 at 8:03 PM, Jim March <1.jim.march at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Jul 3, 2009 at 7:49 PM, Lisa Kachold<lisakachold at obnosis.com>
> wrote:
> > Verify your server will allow .htaccess file overrides:
> >
> > # locate httpd.conf
> > # vi /etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf (or whereever it is)
> >
> > <beware some versions of apache/apache2 use include files rather than
> place
> > Directory configuration in httpd.conf>
>
> Well I found the file (just one) but it's zero bytes...?

YOU must have either a httpd.conf or an apache.conf file in a ServerRoot
directory. (Usually /etc/apache or /etc/httpd/)
It could also be servername.conf check your /etc/init.d/httpd file or
/etc/rc.local (whereever it's started from) and version.
What is your version of Apache?

Your DocumentRoot is going to be /var/www/ and you must have a <Directory
entry for it!

That directory entry must have the statement "AllowOverride All" like below:

> > 1) Directory
> > Find your section with the <Directory > tag and add "AllowOverride All"
> >
> > <Directory /var/www/html/htaccess-enabled>
> >     Options FollowSymLinks
> >     AllowOverride All
> >
> > </Directory>
> >
> > Refs: http://httpd.apache.org/docs/1.3/mod/core.html#allowoverride
> >
> > http://www.sitedeveloper.ws/tutorials/htaccess.htm
>
> OK, done, about to reboot...but first...
>
> > 2) Security
> >
> > Should be fine, but check out this post:
> >
> > http://perishablepress.com/press/2006/01/10/stupid-htaccess-tricks/
>
> Ah.  'Kay, just for starters I added:

That denies everyone!

> ---
> # secure htaccess file
> <Files .htaccess>
>  order allow,deny
>  deny from all
> </Files>
> ---

# secure htaccess file
# Enter htpasswd information and auth stuff here
<Files .htaccess>
 order deny,allow
 deny from all
 allow from 192.168.1.0/24
 allow from 74.183.9.76
</Files>

> ALSO: should I assume that an .htaccess file at /var/www will also
> control access to, say, /var/www/events?

No, that .htaccess file is not hierarchial since it's not setup in your
configuration globally, just for the directory.
<Note in your first htpasswd file you had a path and directory that were
being protected, you would use the same syntax.> Experiment to learn.
You can have a <Directory > entry for each of your areas in your
httpd(apache)conf files.

> THANKS!
>
> Jim

Sure anytime.  Email me off list or call or whatever you need.