Shell Account

Joe lists at joefleming.net
Thu Jul 2 13:22:17 MST 2009

I assume his plan is to keep the screen session up on a remote machine
and bounce around to different machines, continuing to log in to the one
remote machine and restore the screen session. I think we've probably
all done that, but perhaps we've all been fortunate enough to HAVE the
remote machine to do it with and he is not.

Could he do this from his machine at home? Maybe, but it's also possible
that, being out of work, he doesn't have broadband access from home
anymore. Or, maybe his ISP blocks it completely. Could he skirt it?
Probably, but why break their TOS if someone is kind enough to offer up
simple shell access for him?

If you read the entire IRC transcript from the link, you (at least I)
get the impression that he's trying to help people SECURE their systems,
not hack in to them. Just because he mentioned cracklib, which clearly
has a legitimate purpose, you all flew off the handle. Seems kinda silly
to me...

He asked an honest question, I don't see why everyone saw fit to attack
him. If you don't want to give him a shell, then don't. 'Nuff said.

-Joe