Failed DVD Write

Matt Graham danceswithcrows at usa.net
Thu Jul 2 10:19:17 MST 2009

From: Dazed_75 <lthielster at gmail.com>
> The issue

Why do people call problems "issues"?  I've never seen a coherent
explanation for that.

> I tried to burn a slackware .iso to a dvd in a usual manner and
> after a short time, the Fujifilm DVD+R was ejected wih an error.

Using a frontend to growisofs, I see.  Never heard of that one.  The
dvd+rw-utils don't have the same wodim problem that cdrecord does,
do they?  I wouldn't think so, but you never know.

> growisofs  -use-the-force-luke=notray -use-the-force-luke=4gms
> -dvd-compat -speed=8 -use-the-force-luke=tracksize:2028784
> -use-the-force-luke=tty -Z
> /dev/sr0=~larry/Desktop/slackware-12.2-iso/slackware-12.2-install-dvd.iso

If you have another DVD+R, try this from the command line without the
-use-the-force options.

> 0/4154949632 ( 0.0%) @0x, remaining ??:?? RBU 100.0% UBU   0.0%
> :-[ WRITE at LBA=0h failed with
> SK=0h/ASC=00h/ACQ=02h]: Input/output error

That's the error message, and there's not enough detail to make any
sense out of it.  Does reading from /dev/sr0 work?  Does "cdrecord
-prcap dev=/dev/sr0" return "does write DVD+R"?

--
Matt G / Dances With Crows