Zenwalk Curiousities

Ed plug at 0x1b.com
Sat Jan 31 19:15:21 MST 2009

On Sat, Jan 31, 2009 at 1:58 PM, leegold <leegold at fastmail.fm> wrote:
> snip...
>> Back on list, anyone use Zenwalk? I hear it's nice, thinking about it
>> for my next distro.
>
> I tried it, the 5.4 beta and didn't stick with it. It wouldn't
> acknowledge my wireless Intel 4965. It looked good, but I found Xubuntu
> to be more intuitive for me IMO as a desktop. As far as desktops go I
> either "get it" or I don't. If doing what I want to do is too convoluted
> then I'm gone. I'm only talking about desktops here...

I use Zenwalk on systems that have less than a Ghz in processor power*
- works great, very efficient. Zenwalk/Slackware works for me because
I like OpenBSD and the configuration of Slackware based systems is
very similar(CLI). Zenwalk has a good collection of apps in it's repo,
not huge, but well selected. I recommend Zenwalk for systems you want
to have a light touch on the hardware - I believe it is still
configured to install onto 486 architectures - well it might require a
Pentium these days...
When giving away computers I tend to load Zenwalk - simple &
functional without all the maintenance of giving Fedora to someone
just figuring out GNU/Linux.

*when not using OpenBSD

Ed