TrueCrypt lolwut / Zenwalk Curiousities

Stephen cryptworks at gmail.com
Fri Jan 30 08:58:12 MST 2009

On Zenwalk it is built off of slackware so it should be pretty
striaghtforward and stable if he followed the slackware package list.

I have used slackware and it was very easy to set up if not pretty or
spelled out in crayon. but its a solid dist, zenwalk should be about
the same. looks like they added more eyecandy to what they got from
slackware. and went with the xfce window manager, but being slackware
you can run any of the display managers that siut your fancy.

in all it looks great, the documentation is pretty good.

If you really want to learn how linux ticks i would give a pass or two
on installing gentoo. It a rather masochistic approach for a
"learning" experience, but it is well documented and has some tools
readily avaialble to get things done without it being reverted to
magic behind a wizard.

I may not run gentoo much myself now, but it did teach me alot about
how the OS ticks and what does what and why.

On Fri, Jan 30, 2009 at 1:08 AM, Tuna <tuna at supertunaman.com> wrote:
> Recently, Lisa has increased my paranoia factor tenfold with her
> hackfests, prompting me to feel the need to take precautions such as
> changing passwords, setting what cipher my sshd defaults to, and
> encrypting the hard drive. I think I may need help with the latter.
>
> Eventually I'm going to obtain a pile of money suitable for buying a new
> hard drive (current one is only 20 GB), which I intend to install and
> use TrueCrypt on.
>
> I actually installed TrueCrypt on here, but realized after three steps
> in the wizard I had absolutely no idea what the hell I was doing.
>
> Perhaps somebody could walk me through the process at a future
> installfest? Contact me offlist for such arrangements!
>
> Back on list, anyone use Zenwalk? I hear it's nice, thinking about it
> for my next distro.
>
> I want to be able to really learn about Linux, but still have a nice
> pillow to lay my head on at night.

Stephen