[Article] Cox ready to throttle P2P, non"time sensitive" traffic

Bob Elzer bob.elzer at gmail.com
Thu Jan 29 14:56:23 MST 2009

Well said Enrique

In fact I'm trying to do this on my own home network. (With not so good
success right now)

I have a VOIP Phone, and I like to use P2P, so I'm trying to set up my
network to Give High priority to My Voip, while slowing down the P2P, I also
what my regular browsing to have precedence over P2P too.

When a bittorrent connection gets going, it can take up all the bandwidth,
leaving my browser to think I've lost the internet connection. LOL

I'm still playing around with tc, but haven't found the right solution yet.

Roadrunner used to cut Newsgroups to a crawl after a certain amount of data
was transferred, no matter if it was prime time or a lull.

Giving priority to stuff everyone wants, is a good idea, I don't mind
waiting a little longer for my P2P to finish.  But not Too Long. :-)

What I don't want is the Soup Nazi controlling the bandwidth.   NO SOUP FOR
YOU !!!

Replace SOUP with your favorite Protocol.