Trying Fedora

James Mcphee jmcphe at gmail.com
Fri Jan 23 22:09:03 MST 2009

WIth ubuntu 8.10, I've had a problem  with Pidgin sound and pulse-audio
creating a huge memory leak.  But settinng pidgin to use Alsa solves that.
That's about the only problem I've had with any of my hardware.  Xubuntu is
a stripped-down implementation, and that may be part of your issue.

On Fri, Jan 23, 2009 at 9:16 PM, Stephen <cryptworks at gmail.com> wrote:

> I had no stability issues with 8.10 well none that I didn't create
>
> On 1/23/09, Jason <jasons at spatafore.net> wrote:
> > If you're finding a lot of distros freezing up, you may be looking at a
> > memory issue in your computer.
> >
> > Be sure it's the distro and not actually a hardware issue.
> >
> > On Fri, 2009-01-23 at 19:48 -0700, leegold wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> I'm finding Xubuntu 8.10 to be unstable.  A lot of people on this list
> >> seem to be into Fedora disto - I'm downloading the iso now. It's ashame,
> >> Xubuntu feels wonderful - but it acts weird, things freeze and crash. My
> >> theory is that there are so many distros that the quality of the
> >> programmers is spreading thin...I don't think it reflects on Debian, I
> >> tried the desktops based on freeBsd which is rock solid and fast. But
> >> those distros where unstable too. Slackware desktops had problems too.
> >>
> >> Lee G.

> Sent from my mobile device

> Stephen

James McPhee