No subject

Thu Jan 15 19:51:16 MST 2009

and at least 1 outbound (fxs) to plug in the fax.  The lower priced TDM
cards that interface with the telephone network typically let you plug in 4
FXO/FXS modules; the more expensive ones have built in echo cancellation.

Most people use VOIP phones internally since they're relatively inexpensive
$50-$150 (voipsupply.com) usually and allow you to make full use of the
system's features but if you have the TDM hardware to plug them in you can
plug in plain old phones too.

I sell Rhino and Xorcom systems that come preloaded with a base install of
Trixbox, Elastix, or PBXInAFlash and the hardware you need.  In both cases
you still have to configure it yourself or have someone like me do it.
Xorcom comes configured in blocks of 8 FXO/FXS unless you go with the
2FXO/6FXS module and they don't mix that module with other things.
Heres a ball park for the server and hardware:
CerosMini-80GB + R8FXX-EC+2 Dual FXO + Dual FXS=3D$1,059.00+$125.00+$125.00
+$110.00=3D$1419
Xorcom XR1004 - 8 FXO/8FXS =3D$1,588 (up to 50 users and 12 concurrent call=
s)
Xorcom XR2004 - 8 FXO/8FXS =3D$2,173 (up to 300 users and 60 concurrent cal=
ls)

Im a reseller for voipsupply.com also.  Voip phones are priced by number of
line appearances (how many calls you can make at a time) and features.
A cheap middle of the road phone (which I wouldn't recommend for a
production installation) is the grandstream 2000:
http://www.voipsupply.com/gxp-2000
For a little more you can get a decent voip phone like the Polycom
301/501/etc:http://www.voipsupply.com/ip-301-poe

I couldn't in good concience not mention the fire sale of voip phones/etc o=
ebay.... I just saved a client $1500 by buying his Cisco 7960 phones used o=
ebay.  You can pick up polycom phones for $50.  Keep in mind they often sel=
them without a power supply; if you have a POE switch that will power them
then you're fine otherwise you'll have to buy an inline power adaptor for
the phone.

JD
--
JD Austin
Twin Geckos Technology Services LLC
jd at twingeckos.com
480.288.8195x201
http://www.twingeckos.com

Katharine Hepburn  - "Death will be a great relief. No more interviews."

On Tue, Jan 20, 2009 at 10:07 AM, keith smith <klsmith2020 at yahoo.com> wrote=
:

> Okay, all this sounds really cool.  What would it cost a small business t=
> set one of these up?
>
> Say a simple 2 inbound lines, 2 outbound lines, and a fax.  3 or 4 simple
> handsets (What kind of handsets do you use?)  cost?
>
> Is this strictly VOIP?  VOIP has shown to have lower quality the few time=
> I have been exposed to it.
>
> My point of reference is 1992 or 1993 when one would buy an ATT or one of
> the many other small business phone switches for maybe $3,000 - $5,000.
>
> Also someone mentioned buying a trunk.  What is the number of lines?
>
> I get the feeling I'm looking at this through 15 year old technology and
> things have changes significantly.  For instance I worked at a place that
> had a trunk of about 100 lines as I recall.
>
> ------------------------
> Keith Smith
> <http://www.netcodeman.com/>

--0016e6de005e4871b50460efc256

You could go all voip but I wouldn&#39;t recommend it unless you have a ter=
rific internet connection... even then it isn&#39;t always as good as a lan=
d line except in my case where all of the land lines available are horrid (=
thanks Qwest!).&nbsp; <br>
lled FXO and outbound ports are called FXS.&nbsp; FXO ports receive dial to=
ne from the phone company.&nbsp; FXS give dialtone to devices such as a pho=
ne or fax. <br>
 You can also have voip trunks that give you a set number of concurrent con=
nections with the same DID (Direct Inward Dial) number.<br><br>To build an =
asterisk based system yourself you need a computer to run it on (1.5GHZ+ In=
tel/AMD with 512MB+ of ram, 80G+ hard drive), hardware to interface it with=
 the PSTN (public switched telephone network) unless you&#39;re oing all vo=
ip, and the asterisk bundle such as PBXInAFlash or Trixbox.<br>
Keep in mind that many TDM cards generate a ton of interrupt requests and i=
f the irq it is using is being used by something else you can have all sort=
s of audio quality issues.&nbsp; <br><br>From what you said below you&#39;d=
 want at a minumum 3 inbound (2 voice + fax) and at least 1 outbound (fxs) =
to plug in the fax.&nbsp; The lower priced TDM cards that interface with th=
e telephone network typically let you plug in 4 FXO/FXS modules; the more e=
xpensive ones have built in echo cancellation. <br>
xpensive $50-$150 (<a href=3D"http://voipsupply.com">voipsupply.com</a>) us=
ually and allow you to make full use of the system&#39;s features but if yo=
u have the TDM hardware to plug them in you can plug in plain old phones to=
o.&nbsp; <br>
 of Trixbox, Elastix, or PBXInAFlash and the hardware you need.&nbsp; In bo=
th cases you still have to configure it yourself or have someone like me do=
 it.<br>
Xorcom comes configured in blocks of 8 FXO/FXS unless you go with the 2FXO/=
6FXS module and they don&#39;t mix that module with other things.<br>Heres =
a ball park for the server and hardware:<br>CerosMini-80GB + R8FXX-EC+2 Dua=
l FXO + Dual FXS=3D$1,059.00+$125.00+$125.00 +$110.00=3D$1419<br>
Xorcom XR1004 - 8 FXO/8FXS =3D$1,588 (up to 50 users and 12 concurrent call=
s)<br>Xorcom XR2004 - 8 FXO/8FXS =3D$2,173 (up to 300 users and 60 concurre=
pply.com</a> also.&nbsp; Voip phones are priced by number of line appearanc=
es (how many calls you can make at a time) and features.<br>
A cheap middle of the road phone (which I wouldn&#39;t recommend for a prod=
uction installation) is the grandstream 2000: <a href=3D"http://www.voipsup=
ply.com/gxp-2000">http://www.voipsupply.com/gxp-2000</a><br>For a little mo=
re you can get a decent voip phone like the Polycom 301/501/etc:<a href=3D"=
http://www.voipsupply.com/ip-301-poe">http://www.voipsupply.com/ip-301-poe<=
/a><br>
es/etc on ebay.... I just saved a client $1500 by buying his Cisco 7960 pho=
nes used on ebay.&nbsp; You can pick up polycom phones for $50.&nbsp; Keep =
in mind they often sell them without a power supply; if you have a POE swit=
ch that will power them then you&#39;re fine otherwise you&#39;ll have to b=
uy an inline power adaptor for the phone.<br>
nterviews.&quot;
smith <span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:klsmith2020 at yahoo.com">klsmit=
style=3D"border-left: 1px solid rgb(204, 204, 204); margin: 0pt 0pt 0pt 0.8=
ex; padding-left: 1ex;">
e=3D"font-family: inherit; font-style: inherit; font-variant: inherit; font=
-weight: inherit; font-size: inherit; line-height: inherit; font-size-adjus=
t: inherit; font-stretch: inherit;" valign=3D"top">
 business to set one of these up?<br><br>Say a simple 2 inbound lines, 2 ou=
tbound lines, and a fax.&nbsp; 3 or 4 simple handsets (What kind of handset=
s do you use?)&nbsp; cost?<br>
ew times I have been exposed to it.&nbsp; <br><br>My point of reference is =
1992 or 1993 when one would buy an ATT or one of the many other small busin=
ess phone switches for maybe $3,000 - $5,000.<br>
s?<br><br>I get the feeling I&#39;m looking at this through 15 year old tec=
hnology and things have changes significantly.&nbsp; For instance I worked =
at a place that had a trunk of about 100 lines as I recall.<br>
http://www.netcodeman.com/" target=3D"_blank"></a><br><span style=3D"font-w=
t;<a href=3D"mailto:lisakachold at obnosis.com" target=3D"_blank">lisakachold@=
5px; padding-left: 5px;">From: Lisa Kachold &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:lisakacho=
ld at obnosis.com" target=3D"_blank">lisakachold at obnosis.com</a>&gt;<br>Subjec=
t: RE: GrandCentral via Asterisk<div class=3D"Ih2E3d">

Yes,&nbsp; I agree with <a href=3D"mailto:jd at twingeckos.com" target=3D"_bla=
ffice DCO Technician,&nbsp; Senior Voice/Data Network Analyst for Nike, VOI=
P Engineer for AffinityVoipTelecom.com and Support Engineer Manager for Rhi=
noEquipment.com <br>
&nbsp;<br>Asterisk can do a great deal all based on the configuration files=
 in /etc/asterisk.<br>Fonality does not have deep technical support, rather=
 providing cost based services and failing to fix breakage.<br>Since there =
are so many different applications of Asterisk, Trixbox, FreePBX this is a =
good place for profit for the entrepreneur.<br>
Compiled sources is a better solution, obviously.<br>FreePBX is the magic b=
ehind the solution allowing a GUI to setup most of the user applications, t=
esting and CMS.<br><br>All asterisk VOIP products can be a huge security is=
sue, but the spyware was especially shameful.<br>
 provide a
 fine dialaround, voicemail, record all calls, Unlimited calls to home (fro=
m Cell provider) for dial around to get unlimited cell minutes from SIP tru=
nk line, CMS, click to fax from Windows, etc.&nbsp; <br><br>You can configu=
re your autoattendant, provide even an outside line with a password, get a =
nice SIP signature for your email.&nbsp; Call sip people, put a few VOIP Cl=
ients on your linux boxes and a nice hunt group (try grandstream ATA in bat=
hroom, then call my Linux desktop, then my laptop. then my office phone, fi=
nally my cell phone) for any incoming call.&nbsp; You can setup a DialAVOIP=
 Technician line?&nbsp; DialAClownJoke would be nice on the main menu?&nbsp=
; Setup record all calls, then GabCast call to Cox Cable, or your Senator, =
or Bank in comedic ways?<br>
ww.Obnosis.com</a> |&nbsp; <a href=3D"http://wiki.obnosis.com" target=3D"_b=
lank">http://wiki.obnosis.com</a> | <a href=3D"http://hackfest.obnosis.com"=
 target=3D"_blank">http://hackfest.obnosis.com</a> (503)754-4452<br>
/uat.edu</a> Second Saturday of Each Month Noon -
ral via Asterisk<br>From: <a href=3D"mailto:jd at twingeckos.com" target=3D"_b=
lank">jd at twingeckos.com</a><br>To: <a href=3D"mailto:plug-discuss at lists.plu=
g.phoenix.az.us" target=3D"_blank">plug-discuss at lists.plug.phoenix.az.us</a=
er the famous root exploit pre-installed spyware incident I don&#39;t trust=
 Fonality.<br>2. They have a long history of delivering broken installs but=
 have been getting better in the last year or so.<br>

3. They say they&#39;re an open source project but don&#39;t really act lik=
e one.<br>4. Trixbox is RPM based , and PBXInAFlash uses Centos 5 but compi=
les all of the asterisk components from source (which is what you have to d=
o most of the time to fix Trixbox).<br>

5. Unlike a lot of other distributions PBXInAFlash doesn&#39;t try to hide =
that FreePBX is doing all of he real magic that those distributions taking =
credit for.<br>6. PBXInAFlash works reliably and doesn&#39;t have everythin=
g under the sun thrown in that you don&#39;t need. <br>

 case if you want to learn start here:<br><a rel=3D"nofollow" href=3D"http:=
//dumbme.mbit.com.au/" target=3D"_blank">http://dumbme.mbit.com.au/</a><br>=
<a rel=3D"nofollow" href=3D"http://dumbme.mbit.com.au/piaf/piaf_without_tea=
rs.pdf" target=3D"_blank">http://dumbme.mbit.com.au/piaf/piaf_without_tears=
.pdf</a><br>

<a rel=3D"nofollow" href=3D"http://dumbme.mbit.com.au/trixbox2/trixbox2_wit=
hout_tears.pdf" target=3D"_blank">http://dumbme.mbit.com.au/trixbox2/trixbo=
 Geckos Technology Services LLC<br>

<a rel=3D"nofollow" href=3D"mailto:jd at twingeckos.com" target=3D"_blank">jd@=
//www.twingeckos.com" target=3D"_blank">http://www.twingeckos.com</a><br><b=
r><br>Emo Philips &nbsp;- &quot;I was sleeping the other night, alone, than=
ks to the exterminator.&quot;
r">&lt;<a rel=3D"nofollow" href=3D"mailto:lisakachold at obnosis.com" target=
yle=3D"padding-left: 1ex;">

Yea Howdy!<br><br>Trixbox ala Kerry Garrison is a really easy PBX setup (co=
mplete with everything you need for an AutoAttendant, Voicemail, Fax, CMS, =
dial around and through apps)&nbsp; that installs from an ISO:&nbsp; <a rel=
=3D"nofollow" href=3D"http://www.trixbox.org/downloads" target=3D"_blank">h=
ttp://www.trixbox.org/downloads</a><br>

&nbsp;<br>Kerry Garrison offers easy to follow videos here: <a rel=3D"nofol=
low" href=3D"http://asterisktutorials.com" target=3D"_blank">asterisktutori=
t <a rel=3D"nofollow" href=3D"http://voip-info.org" target=3D"_blank">voip-=
info.org</a><br>

=3D"http://axvoice.com" target=3D"_blank">axvoice.com</a> for $9.99 a month=
drop and dial asterisk based configuration from Jim Rhodes over at Rhinoequ=
ipment.com.<br>

ref=3D"http://www.Obnosis.com" target=3D"_blank">www.Obnosis.com</a> |&nbsp=
; <a rel=3D"nofollow" href=3D"http://wiki.obnosis.com" target=3D"_blank">ht=
tp://wiki.obnosis.com</a> | <a rel=3D"nofollow" href=3D"http://hackfest.obn=
osis.com" target=3D"_blank">http://hackfest.obnosis.com</a> (503)754-4452<b=
r>

=3D"_blank">http://uat.edu</a> Second Saturday of Each Month Noon - 3PM<br>=
via Asterisk<br>
From: <a rel=3D"nofollow" href=3D"mailto:jd at twingeckos.com" target=3D"_blan=
k">jd at twingeckos.com</a><br>
To: <a rel=3D"nofollow" href=3D"mailto:plug-discuss at lists.plug.phoenix.az.u=
(think linux kernel).<br>

Asterisk when bundled with other open source software can do all the things=
 GrandCentral does and more provided you give it the connectivity it needs =
to do so (PSTN or voip).&nbsp; A good place to start is with PBXInAFlash (<=
a rel=3D"nofollow">pbxinaflash.org</a>).<br>

rel=3D"nofollow">http://www.twingeckos.com</a><br>
re interviews.&quot;
rote:<br><blockquote style=3D"padding-left: 1ex;">
I know that there are some people on this list that use Asterisk a<br>
decent bit. &nbsp;Those that do... are you familiar with GrandCentral? &nbs=
p;If<br>
so, how do they compare?<br>
I really like the control that something like GrandCentral gives you.<br>
The ability to choose where you receive a call (home, cell, work, etc)<br>
based on who is calling or when they are calling is a killer feature for me=
.<br>
Alas, there are just too many potential gotchas with that service to<br>
really commit to it other than as a play-thing (or as a number passed<br>
out freely to businesses and warranty cards and the like). &nbsp;What I wou=
ld<br>
like is that kind of control... but in a way that *I* control it all!<br>
So no calls being routed through a 3rd party server; no voicemails<br>
stored on their server; no need to upload all of my contacts to a search<br=

company; etc.<br>
Asterisk seems like it might be able to do all that... but who can tell?<br=

&nbsp;Their site is horribly disorganized and when you do find a &quot;feat=
ure&quot;<br>
page, they spend all their time in an acronym frenzy.<br>
So... does anybody know?<br>
Kurt<br>
enix.az.us</a><br>
To subscribe, unsubscribe, or to change your mail settings:<br>
<a rel=3D"nofollow">http://lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us/mailman/listinfo/plug-d=
eep your life in sync.  <a rel=3D"nofollow" href=3D"http://windowslive.com/=
howitworks?ocid=3DTXT_TAGLM_WL_t1_allup_howitworks_012009" target=3D"_blank=
">See how it works.</a></div>

PLUG-discuss mailing list - <a rel=3D"nofollow" href=3D"mailto:PLUG-discuss=
@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us" target=3D"_blank">PLUG-discuss at lists.plug.phoeni=
x.az.us</a><br>
To subscribe, unsubscribe, or to change your mail settings:<br>
<a rel=3D"nofollow" href=3D"http://lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us/mailman/listinf=
o/plug-discuss" target=3D"_blank">http://lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us/mailman/l=
 Keep your life in sync.  <a rel=3D"nofollow" href=3D"http://windowslive.co=
m/explore?ocid=3DTXT_TAGLM_WL_t1_allup_explore_012009" target=3D"_blank">Ch=
eck it out.</a>=20
 target=3D"_blank">PLUG-discuss at lists.plug.phoenix.az.us</a><br>To subscrib=
e, unsubscribe, or to change your mail settings:<br>

ix.az.us">PLUG-discuss at lists.plug.phoenix.az.us</a><br>
To subscribe, unsubscribe, or to change your mail settings:<br>