Looking For RAID Hardware/Software Advice

Lisa Kachold lisakachold at obnosis.com
Mon Jan 19 12:23:07 MST 2009

I have built and maintained linux production servers under both hardware RAID 5 on HP MSA's,
and hardware RAID 1+0 on both HP Proliant's and Dell 2950's/1950's (with a variety of software disk management [depending on the server farm standards]).

I have also configured LVM and md under SATA or iSCSI systems in both RAID 5 and RAID 10.

[I have also built Solaris servers under RAID 5/RAID 10 using SVM, and later replaced with N1 over multi-path I/O on Sun 2450's (zfs); and worked with NetApps/Redhat (xfs).]

I am a proponent of md/LVM over hardware RAID because Linux md does not handle bad block relocation; I love simply rebuilding the array, especially since drives heat up, get torged by power, and are simply not build with QA these days.

Since disk is so incredibly cheap these days (by comparison in your lower level [non enterprise] solution), the popularity of RAID 5 is offset by the full mirror and rebuild protection of RAID 1+0.

Here's the technical descriptions of each level:

RAID 3 uses a number of disks (at least 2) to store data
in a striped RAID 0 fashion. It also uses an additional redundancy
disk to store the XOR sum of the data from the data disks. Should
the redundancy disk fail, the system can continue to operate as if
nothing happened. Should any single data disk fail the system can
compute the data on this disk from the information on the redundancy
disk and all remaining disks. Any double fault will bring the whole
RAID set off-line.

RAID 3 makes sense only with at least 2 data disks (3 disks
including the redundancy disk). Theoretically there is no limit for
the number of disks in the set, but the probability of a fault
increases with the number of disks in the RAID set. Usually the
upper limit is 5 to 7 disks in a single RAID set.

Since RAID 3 stores all redundancy information on a dedicated disk
and since this information has to be updated whenever a write to any
data disk occurs, the overall write speed of a RAID 3 set is limited
by the write speed of the redundancy disk. This, too, is a limit for
the number of disks in a RAID set. The overall read speed of a RAID
3 set with all data disks up and running is that of a RAID 0 set
with that number of data disks. If the set has to reconstruct data
stored on a failed disk from redundant information, the performance
will be severely limited: All disks in the set have to be read and
XOR-ed to compute the missing information.
RAID 5 is just like RAID 3, but the redundancy
information is spread on all disks of the RAID set. This improves
write performance, because load is distributed more evenly between
all available disks. Parity data is rotated across all disks so
total net storage equals all disks minus 1.

RAID 1+0 combines striping with duplication
as striped arrays of mirrored arrays
which gives very high transfers combined with fast seeks as well as
redundancy. The disadvantage is high disk consumption as well as
the above mentioned complexity.

When you are scrounging disk space against money you are sure that two of your disks are not going down.  But believe me, THEY DO, and that's it!   Also RAID 1+0 out performs in a fast good way.  What use is a huge slow system?

Full discussion available here that includes a complete analysis of md systems, and all the types of data loss that generally occur.

www.Obnosis.com |  http://wiki.obnosis.com | http://hackfest.obnosis.com (503)754-4452
PLUG HACKFESTS - http://uat.edu Second Saturday of Each Month Noon - 3PM