{Disarmed} Re: FW: Kristy Westphal's Forensic Presentation from January Hackfest

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Tue Jan 13 11:53:28 MST 2009

On Tue, 2009-01-13 at 11:41 -0700, Joe Fleming wrote:
> Mencoder has always worked really well for me, though I've only ever
> used it to transcode videos for playback on my n800, I've never
> started from DVD. A preliminary Google seems to indicate that you can
> go from DVD to DivX pretty easily and that there are a ton of scripts
> around that will ease the process.

----
as far as I know, mencoder is part of the ffmpeg package and if she
built mencoder when she built ffmpeg, it would have the same problems
with audio that ffmpeg had, assuming that she is correct in her
suspicions that there was a problem with the build.

Me - I'm too unmotivated to build that type of package myself and with
Fedora, using rpmfusion or probably atrpms, a simple...

yum install ffmpeg gstreamer-ffmpeg mencoder

will get the whole shebang installed worry free.

Craig