Which Distro

koder hmichels01 at earthlink.net
Mon Jan 12 15:35:49 MST 2009

mike,

Live CDs run most of the software from the CD. If you click on a
seemingly inconsequential button and it has to load a utility of some
size into memory, the system will pause while it is reading and loading
the program you have just called. That would be inherent in live CDs.

There are differences in structure between SuSe, a recompilation of Red
Hat Enterprise, and Ubuntu/Kubuntu a derivitive of Debian. They don't
put their files in the same location, sometimes there are version
differences and other subtle things. Replacing a few files is out,
unless you are really good.

You could install SuSe and Ubuntu/Kubuntu in different partitions and
use a common home directory. That would let you reboot from one to
another to try each out if you are trying to learn them, if that is your
only choice. Two machines would do that with less grief, I think.

The difference between KDE and Gnome has just been discussed in a
separate thread.

The decision may be based partially on how valuable your data is, how
much patience and how much technical skill you have. In the past I have
just blown things out and reloaded. Now I have a means to regularly back
up my data and the project is only a slight, although time consuming
PITA.

Harold