Which Distro

Dazed_75 lthielster at gmail.com
Mon Jan 12 10:13:57 MST 2009

On Mon, Jan 12, 2009 at 10:00 AM, Mike Bushroe <mbushroe at gmail.com> wrote:
> I have not yet attempted booting the old SuSe system and uploading the
> boot log file to see if anyone can spot the problems yet, but I have
> been downloading LiveCD versions of several distros and I have a new
> question.
>
> I have tried the Unbuntu LiveCD (desktop) and accept for the fact that
> the LiveCD version occasionally freezes, just like KNoppix does, it
> doesn't look to bad. Different from the KDE that I have been used to,
> but perhaps not a bad change. Now the question. To LOAD the Unbuntu
> onto my system, do I have remove ALL the SuSe files, a few select
> files?, create a whole new blank partition for Unbuntu?, or can the
> two distros coexist in the same file system and just be picked by Grub
> at boot time?
>
> Mike

One might suspect the live CD freezing for a few reasons.  The most
common would be a memory limitation if you are trying out a bunch of
things as EVERYTHING is living in your physical RAM.  It is possible
the LiveCD is using the swap partition from your installed SUSE which
would relieve the situation but not eliminate it depending on your
amount of physical RAM.

If you do want to use KDE, just using kubuntu instead of ubuntu is the easiest.

It CAN coexist with SUSE but I don't think the normal install
automates that.  There is a proposal in to make it so, but as of now I
think you need to fix grub manually.  You might also want to do manual
partitioning.  You need someone more expert in these matters than I
am.

Larry

--
Man is the only animal that laughs and weeps, for he is the only
animal that is struck with the difference between what things are and