Set KDE as default in Ubuntu?

Alan Dayley alandd at consultpros.com
Sun Jan 11 09:28:59 MST 2009

On Sat, Jan 10, 2009 at 9:19 PM, Tuna <tuna at supertunaman.com> wrote:
> The default is to use the last-used desktop environment.
>
> So log in once with KDE and it's (technically) default!

Yes, that's true.

And if I had installed Kubuntu instead of Ubuntu, KDE would already be
the default without logging in first.  The setting that makes this
possible is what I am looking for.

BTW, after I set /etc/X11/default-display-manager to /usr/sbin/kdm,
the computer showed the Kubuntu splash on boot, used kdm for login and
promptly gave the new user the Gnome desktop.

I'm not spending any more time on this since I can just change it on a
per user basis, as Tuna suggests.  I just thought it must be some easy
setting somewhere, and it probably is, but it's not easy to find.

Alan