Set KDE as default in Ubuntu?

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Sat Jan 10 22:24:47 MST 2009

On Sat, 2009-01-10 at 20:56 -0700, Alan Dayley wrote:
> I installed Ubuntu 8.04 on a system because I don't currently have a
> Kubuntu 8.04 CD.  No big problems encountered.  I then installed the
> kubuntu-desktop meta-package to get the KDE desktop installed.  Again,
> no problems.  I set the login manager to KDM. Cool.
>
> Now I want to set KDE as the default desktop.  I am about to setup
> several users in the system and they are all used to KDE.  It's not a
> big deal to configure KDE as each user's individual default but I'd
> rather use some system-wide setting to default it.  Does anyone know
> where such a setting would be?
----
2 moderately unresponsive answers...

If this were a Red Hat/CentOS/Fedora system, you would simply
modify /etc/sysconfig/desktop and tell it DESKTOP=KDE. But it's not and
my knowledge of buried bodies on Ubuntu is limited.

You could put an .Xclients-default into each users folder - even
in /etc/skell so that it was there with each user you create

Craig