Softraid Multi-dirve Failure

Eric Shubert ejs at shubes.net
Fri Jan 9 16:34:23 MST 2009

I did this last summer (rebuilt w/ --assemble --force) and it worked ok.

For a drive that's really failed, you can dd as much of it as you can to
a new drive, then run fsck on the new drive, then add it back in w/
--assemble --force. That worked for me as well IIRC. It did lose
whatever wasn't able to be read w/ dd from the old drive though.

Given that 2 drives went at once, consider that the i/o card or MB (or
PS) might be having issues. That was the case with the incident last
summer (replaced i/o card, then MB was failing).

Joe Fleming wrote:
> That's exactly what I want to do here; just pull up one of the drives
> long enough that I can get the data off it. I suspect one of the drives
> really did fail, I've been waiting for it to happen in fact. But since
> the other drive claims to have failed at the EXACT same time, I really
> don't think that it did.
>
> I saw the --force option but there's no indication that it wasn't going
> to rebuild the array. The assemble option might simply imply that
> though.... it does say "This usage assembles one of more raid arrays
> from pre-existing components" which sounds promising enough.
>
> I think you've described exactly what I was trying to do; assemble (NOT
> rebuild) and copy. Thanks!
>
> -Joe
>> I've had luck in the past recovering from a multi-drive failure, where
>> the other failed drive was not truly dead but rather was dropped
>> because of an IO error caused by a thermal calibration or something
>> similar.  The trick is to re-add the drive to the array and using the
>> option to force it NOT to try to rebuild the array.  This used to be
>> an require several options like --really-force and --really-dangerous
>> but now I think its just something like --assemble --force /dev/md0.
>> This forces the array to come back up to its degraded (still down 1
>> disk) state.  If possible replace the degraded disk or copy your data
>> off before the other flakey drive fails.

-Eric 'shubes'