Softraid Multi-dirve Failure

Lisa Kachold lisakachold at obnosis.com
Fri Jan 9 15:29:30 MST 2009

Logs?  Can we digest the details too?

www.Obnosis.com |  http://wiki.obnosis.com | http://hackfest.obnosis.com (503)754-4452
January PLUG HackFest = Kristy Westphal, AZ Department of Economic Security Forensics @ UAT 1/10/09 12-3PM
Date: Fri, 9 Jan 2009 15:17:12 -0700
From: joe at selectitaly.com
To: plug-discuss at lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Subject: Re: Softraid Multi-dirve Failure

That's exactly what I want to do here; just pull up one of the drives
long enough that I can get the data off it. I suspect one of the drives
really did fail, I've been waiting for it to happen in fact. But since
the other drive claims to have failed at the EXACT same time, I really
don't think that it did.

I saw the --force option but there's no indication that it wasn't going
to rebuild the array. The assemble option might simply imply that
though.... it does say "This usage assembles one of more raid arrays
from pre-existing components" which sounds promising enough.

I think you've described exactly what I was trying to do; assemble (NOT
rebuild) and copy. Thanks!

-Joe

I've
had luck in the past recovering from a multi-drive failure, where
the other failed drive was not truly dead but rather was dropped
because of an IO error caused by a thermal calibration or something
similar.  The trick is to re-add the drive to the array and using the
option to force it NOT to try to rebuild the array.  This used to be an
require several options like --really-force and --really-dangerous but
now I think its just something like --assemble --force /dev/md0. This
forces the array to come back up to its degraded (still down 1 disk)
state.  If possible replace the degraded disk or copy your data off
before the other flakey drive fails.