Softraid Multi-dirve Failure

Lisa Kachold lisakachold at obnosis.com
Fri Jan 9 14:49:12 MST 2009

HEAT is the most devastating culprit to drives, other than extensive read/writes, and power sparks, as Eric suggested below.

I suggest you order a nice controller card.  3Ware.com has cheap ones.  You can even do terabyte RAID for say a nice GreenPlum cluster in an old AmericanMicro.com 4 U server with 8 drives!

LVM over hardware RAID is a fine solution, especially with good conditioning and temperature protections.

You just pop out the drive (RAID 1+0 [disk is cheap]) and replace and rebuild hot.

www.Obnosis.com |  http://wiki.obnosis.com | http://hackfest.obnosis.com (503)754-4452
January PLUG HackFest = Kristy Westphal, AZ Department of Economic Security Forensics @ UAT 1/10/09 12-3PM