How to test suspect gmail delivery problems?

Alex Dean alex at crackpot.org
Fri Jan 9 14:19:00 MST 2009

On Jan 9, 2009, at 1:42 PM, Josef Lowder wrote:

> On 1/9/09, Charles Jones <charles.jones at ciscolearning.org> wrote:
>> Josef Lowder wrote:
>>> I'm about fed up with gmail.  One of the most annoying things is
>>> that
>>> it is (apparently) impossible to create filters that will actually
>>> delete (rather than just move garbage emails to trash).  This is
>>> ridiculous.  I'm still getting 100+ garbage spams plus 100+ emails
>>> in
>>> trash every day and I have to go through all these to make sure that
>>> there is nothing in there that should not be; and almost every day I
>>> find one or two items in both spam and in trash that should not be
>>> there.  Valid items in "trash" are my error/responsibility because
>>> of
>>> my aggressive filtering efforts.  This problem could be minimized if
>>> not entirely resolved if I only had the ability to actually create a
>>> "delete forever" filter for some of the most offensive garbage.
>>>

>> If your current filters are failing and moving legit emails to trash,
>> wouldn't the "delete forever" filter be a bad idea? :-)
>
> No, because, as I explained above, I would l only use a "delete
> forever"
> filter on the most offensive subject word-strings.  For other subject
> word-strings
> where I may be most aggressive in filtering, I would only send those
> items to trash.
> And thus, I would have a much smaller number of "trashed" items to
> have to
> scan through.
>
> For example, for a while, I was getting hundreds of garbage spam
> that had
> the word "from" in the subject line, so I filtered all of those to
> trash so I didn't
> have to deal with them in my inbox.  But then, when time permitted,
> I would
> scan through the trash and usually found 1 or 2 legitimate email
> messages
> (among the hundreds of non-legitimate messages with the word "from" in
> the subject line).

Based on this, and on your previous emails on this topic, it really
seems that you're trying to re-implement the (fairly sophisticated)
spam filter with simple string matching.  I guess I don't understand
why it's worth the effort.  I suspect it creates more problems than it
solves, and your emails on this topic seem to support that inference.

I thought the idea of GMail was that you never really delete
anything.  It all just sits there, and the search features they offer
allow you to easily access things in that otherwise-unmanageable pile
of email.  I don't use it, so I'm not sure, but I thought that was how
it worked.  If you want a different webmail, I can say I've been happy
with Yahoo! mail since about 1998.

alex