How to test suspect gmail delivery problems?

Josef Lowder joe at actionline.com
Fri Jan 9 13:42:50 MST 2009

On 1/9/09, Charles Jones <charles.jones at ciscolearning.org> wrote:
> Josef Lowder wrote:
>  > I'm about fed up with gmail.  One of the most annoying things is that
>  > it is (apparently) impossible to create filters that will actually
>  > delete (rather than just move garbage emails to trash).  This is
>  > ridiculous.  I'm still getting 100+ garbage spams plus 100+ emails in
>  > trash every day and I have to go through all these to make sure that
>  > there is nothing in there that should not be; and almost every day I
>  > find one or two items in both spam and in trash that should not be
>  > there.  Valid items in "trash" are my error/responsibility because of
>  > my aggressive filtering efforts.  This problem could be minimized if
>  > not entirely resolved if I only had the ability to actually create a
>  > "delete forever" filter for some of the most offensive garbage.
>  >

> If your current filters are failing and moving legit emails to trash,
>  wouldn't the "delete forever" filter be a bad idea? :-)

No, because, as I explained above, I would l only use a "delete forever"
filter on the most offensive subject word-strings.  For other subject
word-strings
where I may be most aggressive in filtering, I would only send those
items to trash.
And thus, I would have a much smaller number of "trashed" items to have to
scan through.

For example, for a while, I was getting hundreds of garbage spam that had
the word "from" in the subject line, so I filtered all of those to
trash so I didn't
have to deal with them in my inbox.  But then, when time permitted, I would
scan through the trash and usually found 1 or 2 legitimate email messages
(among the hundreds of non-legitimate messages with the word "from" in
the subject line).