Anybody experienced with Sidux?

Jim March 1.jim.march at gmail.com
Thu Jan 8 13:24:28 MST 2009

On Thu, Jan 8, 2009 at 8:27 AM, Ben Browning <benb at bensbrowning.com> wrote:
> You can have both repos but it won't do you much good as anything that has
> changed in Sid will get overwritten and anything that hasn't changed since
> Stable will be the same version in both places.

Sure, that's understood.  I just want to make sure that anything that
isn't in the Sid repos because it hasn't been MADE unstable (due to
being "tried and true) will still be accessible.

> You can install specific packages, then 'pin' them in apt so they won't be
> upgraded, but that quickly becomes a rats-nest of dependencies.

Understood.

> Not to
> mention Sid was the kid who liked to break his toys and the Debian community
> says it will likely eventually break your system. Also, security fixes don't
> get ported to Sid.

Yeah, but the Sidux crew offers updates rapidly enough that it shouldn't matter.

> My advice would be to go Stable or Testing on plain ol' Debian, then compile
> the software you want "the very latest" of by hand. "The very latest" in
> Debian terms is not always all it's cracked up to be, though. Debian
> backports security fixes, so unless there is a (very) compelling function
> missing I'd advise finding a way to be happy with "pretty recent". :)
>
> ~Ben

Meh.  I'll give it a go, see what happens, if I need to scamper back
to Ubuntu I can :).

Jim