Which Distro?

Nathan England nathan at paysonlinux.org
Wed Jan 7 12:53:36 MST 2009

On Wednesday 07 January 2009 07:03:16 Jerry Davis wrote:
> I finally broke down and after 5 good years with my old
> laptop bought one with a NVIDIA board in it. I am very satisfied with it,
> (except the DVD drive does not work -- another topic someday), but KDE 4.x
> does strange things with NVIDIA. Very strange things. So this time I
> installed Ubuntu instead, with KDE on the side, and I use gnome-terminal
> now, instead of Konsole (which I really prefer).

Jerry,

The problem with the nvidia drivers is the new KDE is using various features
of the drivers that have not been used before, thus they have not been tested
very well. nVidia jumped on it and updated the drivers to support the features
that were thought to work. I don't know the details more than that, but that
is the gist of it.

Regardless, if you disable desktop effects in KDE everything else will work
just fine. I believe you can also change the renderer from OpenGL to xrender
and it will work without problems, and should still be fairly fast.
Don't give up on KDE and switch to Gnome!!!

nathan