TV Tuner Cards and Cox Communications

storkus at storkus.com storkus at storkus.com
Mon Jan 5 06:29:38 MST 2009

I don't have Cox here, but I do have a couple of devices that--as far as
ATSC--seem to work well.  Both are Hauppauge and are the HVR-950Q (NTSC
is NOT supported under Linux yet for this, and may not ever be from what
I've heard) and the HVR-1950, where everything is supported.  Since QAM
is done via the same chip as the ATSC, if one works so should the other.
 Note the HVR-950 is NOT the same as the 950Q--the Q uses a different
chipset (hence the driver problem) because the 950-no-suffix doesn't
support QAM in the hardware.

Of course, if you had the $$$, the nerd way of doing it would be to use
GNU Radio and the software radio board (I can't remember the name off
the top of my head).

Note that all of these only support clear QAM and are USB (I wanted them
to work with my laptop as well as a desktop); I don't know if Cox's
channels are all clear.

One final thing: there seems to be a bug in the PVRUSB2 driver when
switching between digital and analog; I've been waiting, but am working
with Mike Isely, the developer, on it. (The HVR-1950 uses this driver.)

Hope this helps.

Mike