****RE: ****Re: ****Re: Linux Administration - Users in (any) database howto/why...

Joe joe at nationnet.com
Fri Jan 2 21:08:06 MST 2009

Sorry Craig, I had to jump in again. smbpasswd -w drives you crazy? From
the Eating Security page, this is what I was talking about eariler:

"Another file with a plain text password is /etc/ldap.secret. This file
must contain the rootdn password in plain text, but is again somewhat
mitigated with file permissions."

Help me out here. Doesn't that basically mean that the root id and
password will be in that file and all apps that use the directory
service can be compromised if that file is compromised? i.e. a
vulnerability in virus scanner, web server, email server, ....

I think there is some really good information on that page and want to
explore it further. I would love to have a centralized ldap server that
if one of the apps were compromised, all the others could remain safe.

I totally agree that one would need more than 2 ACL's, but those are
hard to write properly and understand the ramifications.