****Re: ****Re: Linux Administration - Users in (any) database howto/why...

Lisa Kachold lisakachold at obnosis.com
Fri Jan 2 19:48:34 MST 2009

Good points Craig.  I can see you are a true "administrator" where you think in systemic terms and context is everything.
Black and White (good bad) simplistic and linear thinking is not the  moniker of the seasoned administrator.

LDAP is a good, well developed and heavily implemented tool.  It's not too complex, nor overkill, it's just foriegn and unfamilar if you are used to a simple database for LTS or kerberos passwords.  [Beware if you see yourself or others devolve to bad/good thinking after going past something they don't understand or when confronted with a simple complex yet unfamilar technology.  We each learn to troubleshoot through our own ego defenses - such thinking is a defense, that must be treated in context.]  LDAP is simple (and secure) when implemented well, especially when changing passwords on diverse systems is required for PCI compliance every two months!

I also prefer to use a well supported solution:
1) LTS uses postgresql
2) LDAP is available for this LTS postgresql solution.

Here's the definitive guide for hammering down LDAP, noting defaults for use, etc.

http://eatingsecurity.blogspot.com/2008/11/openldap-security.html

www.Obnosis.com |  http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Citations:obnosis |  (503)754-4452
January PLUG HackFest = Kristy Westphal, AZ Department of Economic Security Forensics @ UAT 1/10/09 12-3PM