Linux Administration - Users in (any) database howto/why...

Ben Browning benb at bensbrowning.com
Thu Jan 1 12:18:23 MST 2009

kitepilot at kitepilot.com wrote:
>>> I suggest you keep /etc/passwd and /etc/group for real linux users and
>>> add "virtual users" support to each of the applications that need it.
> This is exactly what I am trying to do.
> If I understand you well, I am devising a solution for a problem that I
> don't have...   :(

Yes, basically- you are trying to make the screwdriver work when what
you want is a crescent wrench. ProFTPD and Postfix can both work with
MySQL backends, and I believe with Postgres too but I am a MySQL guy so
I stick with that. With a little work, you can make them work with the
same DB.

That said, LDAP is indeed the better option if you ever plan to scale a
lot and/or add services.

~Ben

--
   Ben Browning <benb at bensbrowning.com>
Linux Systems Architect and Administrator