OT- Need Windows XP Login Help

leegold leegold at fastmail.fm
Fri Feb 27 14:21:33 MST 2009

I have trouble following the thread, my eyes are getting old...but from
what I read you probably have malware happening. It's rather amazing the
extent that the malware will go to to protect itself from being
disinfected.

The easiest way to deal with it is to boot from a cd live with NTFS read
capability and copy/save any valuable files (AV scan them of course)
from the pc and then reformat the HD  (do not do a repair install - you
have to wipe the HD and start fresh), then install XP from scratch or
reimage or whatever. That's the fastest way. It's fastest because it
usually takes several anti-malware products used in the proper order to
disinfect what usually are multiple infections.

If you want the challenge, figure out how to get it to boot from a
windows emergency disk and start groping at it. There are also Linux
based emergency cd's w/windows AV's too, but it probably won't get all
the nasties. But if you want to do it this hard way, I can tell you the
deleivery system and the anti-viral cocktail to use - but it's not worth
the time in the workplace/enterprise.

My two cwnts.

Lee G.