OT:Exchange good? - And the flame wars begin (Was:Re: new hotness?)

JD Austin jd at twingeckos.com
Wed Feb 25 13:37:20 MST 2009

Laurence J. Peter  - "If two wrongs don't make a right, try three."

On Wed, Feb 25, 2009 at 11:15 AM, Bill Lindley <wlindley at wlindley.com>wrote:

> OK so if I want to port my existing business landline 480-947-6100 (in
> the original Scottsdale WHitney 7 exchange) to an Asterisk box... how do
> I go about doing that?  Will Qwest even let me port an old number (which
> I don't want to lose) like that? Who do I pay to handle the SIP
> connection?  Where do I start looking?
>
> \\/
> http://www.wlindley.com

I ported my old Qwest # to a voip provider (vitelity.net).
The important part is to match the voip provider to your type of use.
99% of my calls are inbound so I chose an unlimited inbound plan and pay a
little over 1 cent a minute for outbound calls if I use them. Porting takes
a few weeks and it'll happen in an instant when it does; I had both set up
and when it switched it was seamless.

Before you switch try it out.. if your bandwidth isn't up to snuff it'll
drive you crazy.
I currently have 8 voip providers that I can use for outbound routes,
several have DIDS for inbound calling:
vitelity.net
les.net
voicepulse.com