OT- Need Windows XP Login Help

Mark Phillips mark at phillipsmarketing.biz
Wed Feb 25 10:22:34 MST 2009

Sorry for posting such a non-Linux question, but I don't know of any
comparable Windows user lists to plug. If there is one, please let me know
and I will join it! I use Windows so infrequently that I have never searched
for one. Usually all I need is google, but not this time.

My problem - Windows XP Pro, all updated with patches etc. I have 5 users
defined with passwords that have been working flawlessly for a year. I tried
to add a 6th user today using the Control Panel. I added a password using
the user edit screen. No error messages. I logged out of my admin account
and tried to log in with the new user account. Got the error that I could
not log in because I was violating account policies. Rebooted. Same error.
Change password. Same error. Rebooted. Same error. Deleted the account.
Rebooted. Created account with different name the same way. Created password
the same way. Wrote down password on yellow sticky and put it on the
monitor. Tried to log in. Got pop up saying I had the wrong password.
Re-read sticky note on monitor. Tried again, same error. Rebooted. Had
office-mate read password to me off of the sticky note on the monitor. Tried
to log in again, same error.....went outside and ran around the block
screaming for 10 minutes....had a nice chat with a policeman at the
corner.....Now I feel better, but I still don't have a 6th user account.

Is there a limit to the number of user accounts one can have on Windows XP?
How do I add a new user with a password without using all the nifty MS new
user screens and prompts? I googled my error messages and did not find
anything that pertained to my account creation problems.

Thanks!

Mark

P.S. Written using a machine running only Debian Testing and Gmail......;-)