No subject

Sun Feb 1 23:54:35 MST 2009

systems, and other custom telephony applications.  It's going through the
same kind of transformation that Linux did.. started out as something only
geeks could use and evolved into a stable platform that rivals the big
unixes.

I'm glad to be in the middle of it's evolution like I was with Linux.  I
installed BSD first and said ok.. now what.   Then installed Linux because
I'd picked up a book on it.  Funny to think that I'd have been a BSD guy if
I'd had a BSD book instead in 1993.

--
JD Austin
Twin Geckos Technology Services LLC
jd at twingeckos.com
480.288.8195x201
http://www.twingeckos.com

Fran Lebowitz  - "You're only has good as your last haircut."

--000e0cd22de69006d50463b734cc

;Neal <span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:boneal at cornerstonehome.com">b=
il_quote" style=3D"border-left: 1px solid rgb(204, 204, 204); margin: 0pt 0=
pt 0pt 0.8ex; padding-left: 1ex;">

" size=3D"2">Thank you very much for the update on Asterisks! I have=20
always had a soft spot for it and am exited that it is expanding into the m=
arket=20
nicely :)=A0 As for maintaining my servers, with cornerstone I was the=20
director of IT but their was never a desire to higher another sysadmin so I=
=20
spent almost 20% of my time &quot;touching&quot; my servers in some way.=A0=
With my=20
salary that is significantly more then $2K, however I never broke down how =
much=20
was truly &quot;development&quot;=A0that I just categorized as maintenance.=
=A0=20
however, this includes regular system audits and other functions that would=
 be=20
performed no mater what the server OS.=A0 When you say you don&#39;t spend =
$2K a=20
year I have to ask, do you not maintain your servers or do you have some=20
incredibly inexpensive sysadmin :)=A0 At <a href=3D"http://speekback.com" t=
arget=3D"_blank">speekback.com</a> I spent closer 10 60%=20
of my time doing sysadmin work, but we were in the midst of a fast developm=
ent=20
curve.=A0 As for support they will continue doing critical support with=20
regards to upgrades and patches for free even after the support contract=20
expires, however if you just want some new funky module that does not effec=
t you=20
current base system (say you wanted the ability to upload your own custom r=
ings=20
onto your phone in mp3 format) you have to pay for it.=A0 This really was=
=20
something that came up after our contract expired.=A0 As far as the support=
=20
of Linux vs. Asterisks in house support it is just a matter of additional=
=20
workload.=A0 If you have follow resource it is not a real expense, however =
if=20
you resources are already close to max, you must consider employing a new p=
erson=20
to handle the additional workload...=A0 Or pay your current people more, or=
=20
" size=3D"2">From what you say, I would say Asterisk cost has come way=20
sterisk has come a long way since I started using it in late 2003.=A0 Back =
then it was in my opinion a neat toy.=A0 Sure you COULD build great things =
with it back then but it had too many issues at the time to put all your eg=
gs in that basket (the same as Linux was in 1995).=A0 Each issue released w=
as a crapshoot.. some worked and some didn&#39;t.=A0 It has attained very s=
erious momentum since then and changes so fast it&#39;s sometimes hard to k=
eep up.=A0 I waited 3 years for it to get mature and stable enough to build=
 a production system with it.=A0 <br>
nging the API&#39;s for no good reason which breaks existing installations =
built on it; they&#39;re &#39;upsetting&#39; the developers.=A0 Some time i=
n the next few years I believe FreeSwitch will over take Asterisk and be th=
e telephony back end of choice.=A0 Some great projects like FreePBX (it use=
d to be called Asterisk Management Portal) have given Asterisk the stabilit=
y it needed and made building re-producable systems possible.=A0 At the cor=
e of the most popular Asterisk bundles is Linux+Asterisk+FreePBX.<br>
pped into one thing and it just has the neato factor :)<br>From it you can =
build office PBX systems, call centers, calling card systems, and other cus=
tom telephony applications.=A0 It&#39;s going through the same kind of tran=
sformation that Linux did.. started out as something only geeks could use a=
nd evolved into a stable platform that rivals the big unixes.=A0 <br>
Linux.=A0 I installed BSD first and said ok.. now what.=A0=A0 Then installe=
d Linux because I&#39;d picked up a book on it.=A0 Funny to think that I&#3=
9;d have been a BSD guy if I&#39;d had a BSD book instead in 1993.=A0 <br>
an Lebowitz =A0- &quot;You&#39;re only has good as your last haircut.&quot;

--000e0cd22de69006d50463b734cc--