OT:Exchange good? - And the flame wars begin (Was:Re:newhotness?)

JD Austin jd at twingeckos.com
Tue Feb 24 14:04:23 MST 2009

On Tue, Feb 24, 2009 at 1:34 PM, Craig White <craigwhite at azapple.com> wrote:

> I think the general intent is that disk space, like RAM is cheap and
> they don't much care about wasted disk space.
>
> My new Acer Aspire One. Windows XP SP3 w/ Open Office (MS Office Trial
> version removed), AVG Free 8.0 (MacAfee Trial version removed), Acrobat
> Reader, Flash, Firefox, Thunderbird weighs in at just under 10 Gb.
> Fedora 10, a fairly robust install with both Gnome and KDE and a lot of
> games and applications, just under 5 Gb.
>
> Obviously on an SSHD system, space is a premium which is why all of the
> Acer Aspire Ones w/ SSHD are Linux only.
>
> Craig

I got an eee 701.. managed to load XP on an SD card but then Office wouldn't
install right (kept aborting during install because it didn't like where it
was installing to).
I ended up going to Mandriva.  I chose Mandriva because it supports all of
the hardware even from the livecd. I run XP in a virtual machine when I need
it from an external laptop drive.
It fits in my brief case along with all the cables/etc I need and portable
DVDRW. I got it to tether to my cell phone to get on the internet.  I can't
say it's a machine I'd do work on all day unless I could plug it into a KVM
but it's a GODSEND...

--
JD Austin
Twin Geckos Technology Services LLC
jd at twingeckos.com
480.288.8195x201
http://www.twingeckos.com

Fran Lebowitz  - "You're only has good as your last haircut."