OT:Exchange good? - And the flame wars begin (Was:Re: new hotness?)

JD Austin jd at twingeckos.com
Tue Feb 24 10:01:48 MST 2009

On Mon, Feb 23, 2009 at 10:59 PM, Bryan O'Neal
<boneal at cornerstonehome.com>wrote:

>  I apologize for not having more time, perhaps to dig up some of my old
> data.  However the methodology went something like this.  Equipment +
> Install + Configuration + User time cost + Time cost for upgrades,
> maintenance, and expansion/changes.  Assuming you have an average size small
> business.  In that small business you have ~40 phones and 50 employees.
> Each employee gets their own did.  ~5 phones are "executive" (fancier model)
> and you have two which are for receptions.  The receptions will monitor one
> of three "main" incoming lines and will need to know which one has been
> dialed before they answers.  Similarly you will need 3 different dial by
> name directories which may or may not have some overlapping people.  Each
> person needs to be able to switch between 3 preprogrammed settings on how
> their calls are handled. Integration with their business calendar so the
> phone system automatically switches between several settings depending on
> the individuals availability (in a meeting, out of office, etc.) is a big
> plus (ShoreTel does five settings as a base and was expandable but their was
> something about the expansion that I can not remember. ShoreTel also did the
> integration with Outlook, Lotus, and a half dozen other applications
> calendars out of the box,

Another big plus for Asterisk is that there is No Telling which pbx vendors
will survive. Nortell just filed for bankruptcy and will probably be split
and sold off to the highest bidder; if it can happen to them it can happen
to Shoretel.  I'm sure Asterisk distributions will come (I used to use
adminsparadise.. they're gone) and go over the years too but at least you
can re-use your hardware and move on.

--
JD Austin
Twin Geckos Technology Services LLC
jd at twingeckos.com
480.288.8195x201
http://www.twingeckos.com

Fran Lebowitz  - "You're only has good as your last haircut."