Canon xt (350D) Ubuntu 8.10

James Finstrom jfinstrom at rhinoequipment.com
Tue Feb 24 08:42:20 MST 2009

Okay so I decided lets ditch google and look at the change logs. Ubuntu is
sweet because it for the most part just works and allows me to be lazy. Well
their gphoto2 libraries and applications are 3 versions behind which
according to the change log is where they ficed that pesky canon usb reset
issue. Okay so in hopes that this makes it in to the googlesphere the fix
for running a canon 350D xt digital rebel on Ubuntu 8.10 is drumroll.......

build gphoto2 and libgphoto2 from source. I am running 2.4.4 and I have
successfully remote captured an image.

I do alot of software development stuff so I have alot of random libraries
already. To compile however I had to apt-get the following:

libpopt0 libpopt-dev libtool
Also it installs the gphoto2 binaries to /usr/local/bin which may or may not
be in your path.

James Finstrom
Rhino Equipment Corp.