OT:Exchange good? - And the flame wars begin (Was:Re:newhotness?)

Bryan O'Neal boneal at cornerstonehome.com
Tue Feb 24 08:36:21 MST 2009

I could code to save my life, but not well enough to start a whole project.
However, for something like a sbs solution I would think the real talent
would be in just creating a distro that had solutions pre installed and
configured with a handful of questions asked during install. You would need
LDAP & KRB that could be used for single sign on for Linux, Mac, and windows
desktops. You would need Samba for file and print sharing (With ACLs). You
would need an exchange like package with cross platform clients. You would
need a substitute for SharePoint, terminal services, and a remote desktop
gateway.  You would need Apache with a wiki and a default intra company
website.  You would need something like openvpn.  You would need central
management of desktops.  After that you would just need to have easy,
integrated, management counsel.  And I am sure their a half dozen other
items I am forgetting. I could coble together most of the function, without
the central management, client computer management, SharePoint substitute,
exchange substitute, and a few others. However to get what I could replace
as one unified package is way beyond me.  It does seem that SuSE would
probably give you the closest starting point.

If anyone starts something I could probably help with some things.  I have
enjoyed my work with win/lin integration using windows as a domain
controller and would not mind taking a stab at having it work the other way.
Actually, where are SuSE and RedHat on their "domain" projects?  Anyone
know?