Canon xt (350D) Ubuntu 8.10

James Finstrom jfinstrom at rhinoequipment.com
Tue Feb 24 08:03:47 MST 2009

Hey all,

Okay so something with the geekish community they seem to have 3 hobbies
they flock to; Computers, Photography and Ham radio. Today I a, looking for
Ubuntu users who own a canon Digital Rebel (350D preferred)  I have been
googling and have found random nonsense about getting pictures off the
camera well that just works for me.  As cool is it is to take the pictures
then plug in like a normal person I want to play with remote capture and
script some stuff out. Anyhow I have gphoto2 and I do `gphoto2 -F1
--capture-image` and the shutter actuates and the photo is taken and saved
on the CF card. The application hangs and no image is transfered back to the
pc. I could probably live with that as I could script the pictures then dump
the card but as i said the application hangs so no go. From what I can tell
it is waiting for a shutter release back from the camera which doesn't come.
Anyhow anyone have remote capture with Ubuntu 8.10 and the canon 350D that
cann offer insight?

Thanks

James Finstrom
Rhino Equipment Corp.