OT:Exchange good? - And the flame wars begin (Was:Re:newhotness?)

Bryan O'Neal boneal at cornerstonehome.com
Tue Feb 24 01:25:51 MST 2009

Lot of truth in what you say.  However I have never met a CIO, CTO, or CFO
who would care less who you pointed the finger at, just how much does it
cost to fix the problem.  If you have a support contract the risk is
mitigated and the cost is known.  This is actually an argument I used to
start putting redhat servers into production at several places I worked.  We
could not easily get a cost effective support contract with MS, but we could
with RedHat and Dell was happy to support even things like a samba
connection between MS and RedHat.  Of course, when support comes up for
renewal you just show how it was never used and then you put in CENTOS
instead of redhat and rely on your own talent pool. But you need to express
every thing as a bottom line.  As far as the legal team goes, they couldn't
care less.  Typically your insurance costs do not change with regard to a
technology, only IT methodology, so they were only too happy when their was
a third party who could, potentially, be put on the hook.